Making sure of oil flowing freely before reassembly

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
Jen

Making sure of oil flowing freely before reassembly

Unread post by Jen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:18 pm

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and im just right about to the point of installing the new bearing after fixing up the crankshaft, journals, and using the plastigage to get my bearing clearances. However, now Im back online researching the possibilty of the oil not flowing through system freely because of any small metal particles that might be clogged in there somewhere. There were some in the bottom of oil pan when i cleaned it out. I did read the post regarding 'Engine Oiling System Operation' and how in the event of there being a clog somewhere where the flow gets restricted there are ways set up in system to continue operation. Thank you for that info. Sooooo, just wanting to know if there are any other critical points of measure to take note before I start reassembling?

carriedi

Re: Making sure of oil flowing freely before reassembly

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:51 am

Oil gets pumped through the system and enters the bearing area under pressure. that pressure should push the oil around the journals and lube the bearings. When the bearings get worn the material should get pushed out where the oil escapes the bearing. Some times, however, material may enter the oil passages and build up inside the oiling system.

if you had your crank journals repaired after have a bearing go out, when you are done installing the crank and oil pan, manually run the oil pump to make sure you have good oil pressure moving through the system before you go to start the engine.

new oil and oil filter are a must, and you shouldn't use synthetic oil for the break-in period for the new bearings.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Jen

Unread post by Jen » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:29 am

Sounds like sound advice. Thanks so much I will do just that. However, can you give me a quick lesson on how to go about doing the oil pumping manually and would I be watching the oil pressure gauge increase on the information panel located in the middle of the dash?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 pm

watch this video on priming oil pumps. the second half should be the style for your engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYLlr8uQ8k

I don't know what your creative mechanical ability is but it is possible to make your own oil pressure filler tool.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.