98 Regal 3.8 Voltage Problems

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Justaguy

98 Regal 3.8 Voltage Problems

Unread post by Justaguy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:33 pm

If battery is charged car will start and run the voltage at that time is around 12 volts at battery.
- Voltage starts dropping until Voltage reaches around 6 volts and car dies.
- If I leave jumper cables on it will keep running.

Things I have replaced:
- Battery
- Alternator
- Ground cable from battery to starter and chase ground
- Had starter checked it check out OK
- Replaced the ignition switch

Additional information
This started with the car would not always start you had to giggle the key or something then most of the time it would go ahead and start then it got to the point it would not start.

Still acts like a grounding issue but with a charge on the battery if I check from the engine to the battery I get voltage OK.
- From different places on the engine including the alternator I get voltage.

carriedi

Re: 98 Regal 3.8 Voltage Problems

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:38 am

your alternator should be charging your battery at 13.8 to 14.2 volts while the engine is running. You may have replaced your alternator but it seems like it is not charging at all. check the fuses and fusible link. if they are all good follow the circuit to see where you lost the charging circuit
Attachments
98 regal.jpg
98 regal.jpg (206.32 KiB) Viewed 12364 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Trigdog13

Unread post by Trigdog13 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:48 am

Ignition switch it's going bad at the connectors take it out and wiggle the connectors at back of switch while trying to start. Bet that's your problem.

Kinney12009

Unread post by Kinney12009 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Just replaced tension pully assembly, battery, and alternator on 98 buick park avenue. It starts right up and runs fine but the voltage light is coming on. The battery voyage is running right at 11.5 and 12. Idk what else it could be. Thanks

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:27 pm

If your running voltage at the battery is 11.5 to 12 volts, your alternator is not charging the battery. Battery voltage on a good battery would be 12.6 volts just sitting. Engine running the alternator should be charging at 13.8 t0 14.2. (sometime a little more or less) The battery light comes on because the computer doesn't see the battery getting charged. If you look at the wiring diagram you should ba able to follow the current flow.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.