Car Shakes On The Highway- Buick Regal

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
John3

1996 Buick Regal Suspension Noises

Unread post by John3 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

I have a 96 Buick Regal Custom 3.8L and I am hearing a rubbing or even boing noise when I turn my steering wheel, and also a bouncing in my left rear end when I hit bumps (almost as if something is in the trunk) The advice Ive received was ball joints for the steering and shocks and/or bushings for the bouncing, does this sound right?

ProTech

Re: 1996 Buick Regal Suspension Noises

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

I would definitely say that the noise from the rear is the struts and mounts making noise. That is pretty common. You might also want to check the rear sway bar end links and bushings for wear, as this can cause noise too.

For the noise in the front when you turn the wheel, it could something like the intermediate shaft between the column and steering rack. That is fairly common to make noise. A ball-joint noise is usually a loud knock or thump type noise over bumps or turning, as would be struts too. A broken sway bar link or bad bushing in the front sway bar would probably not make the type of noise you're hearing. Maybe a tie rod end, or even a bad steering rack.

I'd recommend getting the steering and suspension checked out to be sure exactly where the noise is coming from, so you don't waste time or money on parts that aren't needed.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Flyinn

Car Shakes On The Highway- Buick Regal

Unread post by Flyinn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I have a 2000 Buick Regal with 126,000 miles. About 6 months ago while on a long road trip, the car began to shake while at freeway speed. Had alignment checked and tires balanced. Didn''t help. Had front axle replaced as well as motor mounts. Car still shakes above 50 mph only with acceleration or maintaining speed. If I take foot off the gas and coast, the shaking stops. Any suggestions?

ProTech

Re: Car Shakes On The Highway- Buick Regal

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Could be something transmission related. If it stops when you coast or let off the gas, that would tell me that you're taking the load off of whatever is causing the problem, such as something inside the transmission. If you're sure the axles, wheel bearings and tires/wheels are all ok, then you'll have to start looking in the transmission area for issues. This can mean removing the transmission and looking for trouble. Usually vibrations are tires or wheels 99% of the time so I'd be sure it isn't something simple before getting too involved in it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+