Buick 2004 Thermostat

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
appl

Buick 2004 Thermostat

Unread post by appl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 pm

The temp guage on my 2004 Buick La Sabre always was always perfectly centered after the engine was warmed up. Now the coolant temperature climbs slowly, and only reaches about 178 degrees. It may be the original factory thermostat, so I am assuming that it should be replaced. Is the thermostat located at the engine end of the radiator hose (like on older cars?)
Chuck

TerryAuto

Re: Buick 2004 Thermostat

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Hello Chuck.
If the weather in your area is very cold right now, the engine may not get up to that half way mark.
Yes, the thermostat is on the engine end of the upper radiator hose inside the aluminum housing.
Replacement procedure depends on which engine you have.
Is it the 3400 or 3800 V6?
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

appl

Unread post by appl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Terry,
Thank you so much for your reply. My Buick Lasabre has the 3800 engine. It has a digital readout and if you watch the readout while the car is warming up the temp climbs to about 185 degrees and you can see the moment that the thermostat opens, because the temp drops to the mid 70's.
If I were to change the thermostat what would be the procedure?
Thanks for your help.

Chuck

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

If you want to change the thermostat, this is the easier one.
Just drain about a gallon of coolant from the pet-cock on the drivers side bottom of the radiator.
Remove the oil filler cap and tube so you can remove the engine cover to have enough room.
Remove the two 10mm bolts from the aluminum housing on the engine. One bolt, maybe one stud. You can leave the upper radiator hose attached to the housing.
There may be a little plastic clip for a wire that sits on top of the stud. Pop up the housing, note which side of the thermostat is up.
Clean the housing and mating surface on the engine (actually it is the intake manifold) and install the new one.
While re-installing, don't crank down too hard on the housing bolts or they may break.
Fill with coolant a few inches below the top of radiator cap and let the engine get hot until it opens and level drops, then fill and cap it off.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.