2000 buick lesabre transmission Won't Shift

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
hareva4

2000 buick lesabre transmission Won't Shift

Unread post by hareva4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 pm

I have a 2000 Buick Lesabra and the transmission will not shift into third. Do anyone have an answer for this problem?

ProTech

Re: 2000 buick lesabre transmission Won't Shift

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

The answer is simple....you need a transmission overhaul.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Zimmer

Unread post by Zimmer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:06 am

My 2006 Buick Lacerne was in drive and I was stopped at a red light,when I went to take off the tac was reading 4 rpm's but my car wouldn't move. I put it in park and waited a few minutes and then it seemed fine. About 5 minutes later it did the same thing and all the way home tac was reading around 4 rpm's, but I was only going about 35 mph. Finally it just stopped moving but tac was still reading high. Let it sit for a few minutes and it was fine again. Then started all over again and now I can't drive it because it won't stop acting like the transmission is going out. But had no warning whatsoever that anything was wrong until that happened. Changed tranny fluid and put in a new filter but didn't help a bit. PLEASE HELP! I can't afford a new transmission and I LOVE this car!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:36 am

If the trans doesn't move the car at all, it is probably a mechanical problem. If it were an electrical problem you should have 3rd gear and reverse. (you have those even if the trans is not plugged in)

you should probably see a trans shop. I don't have any good news for you.

once the trans slips in gear it should set a code. the code should put the trans computer into limp mode so you will drive in only one gear. So, that would be why the rpm is at 4000 rpm instead of the 2000-2500 it would normally run at cruising.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Zimmer

Unread post by Zimmer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you so much for helping me!! But shouldn't it have given you some kind of warning that this was about to happen? When the transmission in my mini van went out,it started by not having any power when going up a hill. And did that for awhile before we found out that it was the transmission. But the 2006 Buick Lacerne didn't give my any inclination whatsoever that anything was wrong. It has ran great until that day. The only other thing that has gone wrong with this car was something that I later found out happens a lot with this model, and that is it got stuck in park and wouldn't come out. I have a good friend that ownes a body shop and even though I knew that it definitely wasn't a body problem, he has a son who runs a mechanic shop out of his garage. So he brought him with him to where I was stuck at and said that in that car, the wiring harness is right up against the shifter plate. So everytime you took it from park to drive or reverse, that plate was constantly rubbing against the wires. Just so happened that the wire it finally cut clear through was the one that made it be stuck in park. So they rigged it up good enough for me to be able to get it out of park. BUT, then I couldn't put it back in park unless I had someone else with me to help me get that wire to touch. So I was having to leave it in neutral to shut it off. They looked up what I needed to get it fixed and it was like $600.00 because the whole shifter had to be replaced. But he found me one at his friends junk yard for $136.00 so we had them go ahead and buy it and had no problems with it after that. Until I was sitting in the turning lane stopped for traffic. When it was clear to go I put my foot on the gas pedal and the rpms were running pretty high but the car was just barely moving. So I pulled over (and cried and prayed for a few minutes) and tried it again and it acted totally fine...for about 5 minutes at the next stop light I stopped at,it did the same thing and acted up all the way home. Barely had any power but tac was reading between 4 and 5rpms.But all you have to do is put it in park for awhile and it'll run absolutely fine...for about 5 minutes then just keeps on doing it. Hubby has replced the filter and changed the tranny fluid twice and it didn't help a bit. I absolutely LOVE this car and do not want to get rid of it. But I sure don't have the money right now to buy a new transmission and when I've talked to a few ppl. they said that since it shows up on the dash if you have low tire pressure or are low on windshield wiper fluid, that if it WAS the transmission, it would say that on the dash and it doesn't. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD NEWS....I CAN'T AFFORD A NEW TRANSMISSION!! LOL. And THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME!!!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:44 pm

My dodge caravan drove fine for many many miles. One day I was driving through town and came to a stop at a stop sign and when I went to drive away from the stop sign the engine just reved up and didn't go anywhere. And that was it, the trans was gone. I had a ford taurus and drove it for a lot of miles. One day it started slipping. took a lot of rpm's to get moving. When it was cold it worked fine but as everything warmed up it would start to slip. Until one day it just slipped all the time.

So it can fail in different ways.

but, the trans on your car should go in reverse and third gear even if you unplug it. You should contact a local trans shop and talk to them about how things progressed to where it is now and see what they have to say. Scanning the trans for codes and looking at the data stream and trans adaptives would tell you a lot about what going on with your trans.

keith

Unread post by keith » Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 am

My car won't shift I have all gears but it just won't shift the rpm goes up and down when I drive it

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 05, 2016 10:45 am

I don't understand what you are trying to say. How can you have all the gears if the car doesn't shift? wouldn't you be stuck in a gear because it doesn't shift? I need more information about what your car is doing.

is the trans slipping? rpm goes up but the trans slips so the car doesn't send the power to the wheels?

Does the rpm go up because the trans won't shift into the next higher gear?

is you check engine light on?