Hard shift after dead stop

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
blake2333

Hard shift after dead stop

Unread post by blake2333 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm

I just bought a 2004 Buick Rendezvous AWD with 58000 miles on it and when I stopped at a stop light and proceeded up hill at a steep incline the transmission(automatic) seemed to shift very hard. Is this common for an SUV with this many miles. It hasn't happened since but I want to see if this could lead to a bigger problem.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Hard shift after dead stop

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:00 am

The truck will shift a little harder because of a steep incline, but should not be terrible.
These transmisions have what is called "Shift Adapts".
Basically they learn your driving habits over time, then adjust to give the best shift.
If this was by chance the first time on that particular inlcine, at that particular acceleration, then it would be a little harder than on a less steep inclinse, but has learned what to do on this sort of hill.
Have also had a some problems with a pressure control valve solenoid in the transmission. This does what is says- controls pressure. If it were to stick and give a higher pressure in the transmission fluid circuits, then that would also give a harsh shift.
I would just keep an eye on it for a while. If it starts happening more frequently, then have a trans. Tech drive it to see what he thinks. He may also need to have a scanner on it to watch transmission data.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.