tricky electrical problem- 2000 Buick Regal

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
jakec57

tricky electrical problem- 2000 Buick Regal

Unread post by jakec57 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

2000 Regal LS

Windshield washer system is not working. The washer pump won't function. The motor won't run when installed.
I have 12 vdc at the washer motor electrical connector when the "on" switch is activated.
The washer motor works when hooked directly to 12vdc power source. The motor draws 1 amp when running continuously. I even tried another new motor.
The washer motor when installed to the proper connection in the car does not work. In this condition it draws about 1/2 amp but does not run. Obviously 1/2 amp can't run the motor.
The contacts in the electrical connector are good. I did a resistance check.
The ground is good; also did a resistance check.

ANY thoughts or ideas are sincerely appreciated on this one.

Thanks in Advance,
Jake Cinzano

frank

Re: tricky electrical problem

Unread post by frank » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Well, if i understand correctly, this realy does sound like a ground problem.
How did you check the ground?

jakec57

Unread post by jakec57 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks for the reply. Using my DVM, I checked the continuity between my socket connector for the washer motor and the ground terminal of the battery. My DVM registered maximum continuity (same as if I touched the two DVM probes together). I strongly suspect that I have some type of voltage drop on the hot side. Do you know of any historically troublesome areas related to the circuit or switches for GM cars?

Jake Cinzano

frank

Unread post by frank » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Don't know of any common areas.
Even though the resistance of the ground side is OK- assuming less than .5 ohms,
It may still be bad. A meter would show good if even 1 strand of the ground wire were grounded, but that would not be enough to run the washer motor.
Use a test light in the pump connector and see if it lights. Or connect light to the power side, then to ground and see if it lights, then connect light to 12v and the other end to the ground wire to see if it lights.

Jules

Unread post by Jules » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Had a bad wire just like that.
Pulled on it and the plastic insulation stretched, then finaly broke. Drove me crazy to find that problem.